A pathology slate mortuary board from the former St Lawrences Asylum, Bodmin, Cornwall
Regular priceSale price
Unit price/ per
The Cornwall County Asylum, later St Lawrence’s hospital, was opened in 1818. The asylum, then St Lawrences mental hospital, went into decline in the 1980s and was closed in 2002. Parts were converted into residential accommodation and the rest demolished.
The slate board is dated August 1935 and shows the organs that would have been removed during a post mortem by the pathologist and has a space where the weight in ounces - was recorded by the mortuary assistant. This practice still takes place in post mortems today.