19th century coal club box from a Manchester public house
Regular priceSale price
Unit price/ per
A 19th century box, in the original paint, that originally was for a coal club run from the Morning Star Public House in Bolton Road, Manchester. The Morning Star opened in 1860 on the corner of George Street and Bolton Road, Pendlebury. The pub was owned by the Worsley Brewery and closed in 1930.
The box was for a coal club where members paid money in collectively and their recorded deposits entitled them to buy coal from approved coal merchants. Friendly Societies ran such clubs as well as clothing clubs and burial clubs to name some others.
Such clubs became more common during the Lancashire cotton famine of 1861-1865. Also known as the ‘Cotton Panic’ this brought a depression to the North West textile industry largely brought about as the result of the over production at a time of contracting markets.
Local relief committees were set up to help those affected.
The pine box is finished with a grain effect to the paint and retains the original brass handle. The lid sits up slightly as the wood has moved over time.
Measuring: 40 cm length, 20 cm width and 25 cm deep.