A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass
A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass

A large stipple and line engraving of King George III with original frame & glass

Regular price £680.00
Unit price  per 

A truly wonderful and  entirely orginal piece from a large stately home.

A large stipple and line engraving in its original 1820s frame which remains in the untouched original condition and once housed in Brynkinalt Hall. The original engraving has the original details on the frame:    'Painted by Sr. Wm. Beechey R.A. Engraved by Benjamin Smith. His Most Gracious Majesty King George the Third, This Print, Engraved from a Picture painted by Sr. William Beechey, in his Majesty's Collection, is most humbly Dedicated to Her Majesty by her Most Dutiful & Loyal Subjects J. & J. Boydell. Pub. Decr. 1, 1804, by J. & J. Boydell at the Shakespeare Gallery, Pall Mall & at 90, Cheapside, London.' 

The frame retains the original trade label -  "John Smith apprentice and successor to the late Mr Hammond of Conduit Street. Carver and gilder, looking glass and picture frame makers 98 Swallow Street near Conduit Street".  Smith operated from those premises using that wording from 1821 -1829.    This was most likley framed by Smith around 1820 on the death of King George III as the original writing on the frame suggests.

Examples of this 1804 engraving are held by the National Portrait Gallery, London, the British Museum and the Victorian and Albert Musuem.  

 

The frame is in good condition retaining the original rippled Georgian glass.   Bynkinalt is inscribed to the back. 

Brynkinalt Hall was built in 1612 overlooking the Ceiriog Valley and remains in the Trevor family. The Duke of Wellington’s mother was also a Trevor and the Duke used to visit his grandmother here and accompanied her to nearby Llangollen.  

 

Provenance: Brynkinalt Hall, Wales/Shropshire border

Measuring : (Frame 64cm x 48 cm)

London, England, 1804-1829