Georgian coaching inn broadside for the Bull & Mouth, London, 1816
Regular priceSale price
Unit price/ per
A rare surving example of a Georgian broadside printed on November 13th 1816. The broadside (a single sheet of paper printed on one side). The broadside states:
"Bull & Mouth Inn, Bull & Mouth Street, London. Set out from the above Inn the following Royal MAIL COACHES and other carriages...." and goes on to list each detsination and the stops en route.
The Bull and Mouth was a coaching inn within the City of London and pre-dated the Great Fire of 1666, being situated between Bull & Mouth Street in teh north and Angel Street in the South. It was an important arrival and departure point for coaches all over Britain, but mainly from the north of England and Scotland. After becoming the Queen's Hotel in 1830 it was demolished around 1888 to make way for the new post office buildings in St Martin's Le Grand. A blue plaque now marks its former location.
The original name of the inn was the Bolougne Mouth after a reference to the French coastal town beseiged by the english in 1544-46.
The original sign from the Bull & Mouth Inn is now held by the Museum of London and shows a bull in a large mouth.
The document is in good conidtion and laid onto paper. Unglazed.