Rather unusual to find surviving example, a blue and white early 19th century bowl from the steam packet ‘The Countess of Lonsdale’. The Whitehaven steam engine company operated the Countess of Lonsdale which sailed between Trafalgar Dock, Liverpool and Whitehaven. The ship sailed twice a week between the two ports in the summer and once in the winter. 'Countess of Lonsdale' was the first steam vessel built at Whitehaven. She was 150 tons and 130 feet in length and built by T. & J. Brocklebank. She was launched on 12th June 1828 and used in the Whitehaven/Belfast trade 1828–1854. She was transferred to Liverpool in 1852. A painting of by Joseph Heard (1799-1859) to mark her launch was painted in 1828 to mark her launch and now hangs in the Beacon Museum, Whitehaven.
The bowl is marked with the ship’s details to the bottom
Measuring: 9.25” x 4.5”
English, c. 1830